Sunday, September 13, 2009

Malcolm Gladwell on Cultivating High Performance

I tucked my iPod nano in my pocket, my earbuds under my hearing protection, and made use of my yard mowing time yesterday to listen to a thought-provoking podcast interview with Malcom Gladwell. Gladwell is one of my favorite authors and wrote best sellers such as The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference, Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking, and Outliers: The Story of Success.

The interview was arranged by 92Yin New York City and moderated by Robert Krulrich. Gladwell expressed some interesting views about our educational system. He addressed topics such as:.
  • Should the educational system identify the gifted children and give them
    separate, enhanced educational programs?
  • What is a genius?
  • Does the prestige of the school granting your college degree really impact your future earning potential?
He believes much of what organizations practice today to cultivate high performance is wrong. This is a fairly lengthy listen but definitely worth your time.  Here's the video at 92Y or check it out on iTunes.

No comments: